The Board and members of the Nevada Republican Club are saddened with the passing of Sands Corporation CEO and stalwart Republican supporter Sheldon Adelson. Mr. Adelson’s rags to riches story is a shining example of what is possible in America. As he rose in wealth and prominence, he created thousands of jobs and gave back to his community and to his country. His philanthropic work improved the lives of countless people. His dedication to the Republican Party and to Republican and conservative causes made a difference in our country and in Israel. We celebrate his life and mourn his passing. Our condolences go out to his wife, Dr. Miriam Adelson, his children and grandchildren. He will be missed.
As I close out my third year as President, I want to thank each of you for a humbling, thrilling and uplifting experience. It has been truly an honor of a lifetime to work with such a fun, energetic and savvy Board of Directors and volunteers who have made my experience rewarding and memorable. I have been fortunate to meet and make new friends and enjoy the good company of intelligent and thoughtful colleagues. Special thanks go to the current Board, Ray Lehman, Mike Colian, Pearl Kim and Phil Perine for their support & encouragement. I am proud to report that in the last 3 years, the Club has accomplished the following milestones:
1. Changed the name and branding to “Nevada Republican Club” to reflect the inclusive nature of our Club;
2. Doubled membership from 176 (in 2018) to 401 (as of November 2020);
3. Interviewed and researched judicial candidates for over 20 hours for the 2020 slate cards; and published judicial and non-judicial slate cards in 2018 & 2020.
4. Updated the Club’s website, logo and brand;
5. Increased our social media presence on Twitter (by 700 followers) and Facebook;
6. Hosted Tuesday Morning Coffee with the Candidates in 2020, interviewing over a dozen local candidates and elected officials;
7. Launched our own YouTube Channel which includes interviews of the Secretary of State and judicial and nonjudicial candidates in 2020;
8. Actively engaged in the 2020 election by walking over 500 houses, phonebanking over 2000 phone calls; distributing 25,000 slate cards and publishing our recommended list of candidates in major publications;
9. Encouraged members to serve as poll workers and poll observers in 2020;
10. Actively testified for and against various legislative bills in 2019 and 2020;
11. Sold out several luncheons at Cili’s Bali Hai Restaurant and Ahern Convention Center;
12. Invited distinguished local and state-wide speakers to talk about civic issues;
13. Changed our monthly First Friday happy hours to quarterly evening social events;
14. Moved our luncheon location from Cili Restaurant to Ahern Hotel & Convention Center to accommodate greater participation;
15. Revived the Club’s monthly newsletter;
16. Increased our email contact list;
17. Hosted holiday parties and donated gifts for the Veterans Treatment Courts in Henderson and Las Vegas every year;
18. Invited clergymen and women from different faiths to provide the invocation at our luncheon meetings;
19. Created a hospitality committee responsible for welcoming new members and guests at our monthly luncheons; and
20. Served as a resource for current information, events and issues.
God Bless America!
President, Nevada Republican Club